From a moving home to Moving Pictures Gallery, the birth and re-birth of a 36' International school bus, struggling to become a green vehicle opening its doors literally to artists with something to say and those who long to hear it. Starting from scratch and loving the haters. Welcome to the happiness bus. . .

Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Great North

I think The Great North refers to places other than South Jersey, but the bus has never been north of the Mason Dixon line, so for Sirius, we'll keep it as such.  We just arrived home about 30 minutes ago.  Scratch that - we arrived about 6 hours ago - I just re-christened the bus with my friend Tom and a very early Mother's Day present - some good conversation and a couple tasteful beers. . .and a lesson on the gifts youtube has to give - Tom introduced me to Phillip DiFranco (I am guessing at spelling).  I'm sold.

So!  The bus is parked in what turns out to be a perfectly allowed space on our street, to be moved tomorrow once our things are sorted out.  We stopped in Elizabethton to gather the remainder of our worldly belongings from storage. . .things such as toys and books and clothes all outgrown by the kids that haven't been seen in close to 2 years.  But they traveled all the way up here - 700 miles actually - to be given to Goodwill in Jersey.  That's cool.  These Yankess could use some Southern flair.

It's almost dawn, the bus sits happy, tagged with red spray paint (a nice touch to accent its peeling paint and mildewed roof), awaiting the reactions of neighbors close, and probably town-wide.  Good.  Maybe you're a neighbor reading this because the blog address is painted on the driver's side.  Maybe you're my best friend (I hope).  Either way, please come back and read more about what is happening tomorrow, when I'm more lucid. . .

Thank you I-81, thank you highway 66, thank you 495, 895, 295, and I-95.  Thank you Delaware memorial bridge.  Thank you weather.  Thank you for facilitating an awesome move.  I hope by September the mobile art gallery is in place and Sirius will be treading lightly all the way to your neighborhood, with something BIG to offer.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like your moving into my home town!! Have fun.

    Sidenote: your G looks like an S took me a few minutes to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooper (great name!) - we've been here for a bit over a year but the bus is a new addition. A departure from the original idea of a cross country tour of international communities, the bus (Sirius) is going to become a mobile art gallery, committed to social change and charity. The tour will happen one day...

      Delete