From a moving home to Moving Pictures Gallery, the birth and re-birth of a 36' International school bus, struggling to become a green vehicle opening its doors literally to artists with something to say and those who long to hear it. Starting from scratch and loving the haters. Welcome to the happiness bus. . .

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The tide is out

Such a small planet with such big people.  With big brains.  And all we seem to want to do is make it smaller and more comfortable.  Boy this is a nice house.  It's 50% cleaned out, with 80% more moving to do.  The yard sale wasn't quite a bust but wasn't quite enough for me either.  Not much traffic, but I sold some big things.  The downside of the upside is that I got a good deal of donations from family and friends in way of items to sell, so my front porch and laundry room and garage are a bazaar of garage sale things.  Per usual, I'm behind on things - I didn't want to consider all our 'stuff' after the 4th or 5th, but que sera.  So I'll be having yet another yardsale this Saturday, when there aren't festivals going on. . .this time complete with a manned lemonade stand. . .last week the kids were gone for half of it camping.  No one really wanted to buy lemonade from a grown woman (though I made fresh squeezed). The fun part is that Mercury is at camp this week and the boys went to NJ with their dad for 2 weeks, so I have been single - truly single - since Sunday.  It's a good thing I have to go back to work today - I could get used to the lake and random trips. . .

I did do some research on child restraint seats after the issue has been brought up by a couple people.  There are some great seats made for motorhomes and buses, and I'm waiting to hear back from the company.  Good thing I didn't get a chance to bolt in the oak school desks that have been made into chairs - that was originally going to be the couch.  Child restraints are a good thing.  I figure I want to keep the kids (hah).

Last week I took the bus over to a secret location and an un-named couple of angels put on some like-new (really like new) tires and changed the filters and oil.  I was even supplied with extra oil and I have a left-over new air filter for the future.  I drove the bus home Monday by myself, realizing I need to get a radio in there.  And a CB.  There are only so many songs I can sing loud enough and long enough over the engine's roar.  John made a few comments concerning my attitude lately - a masculine-type confidence.  I chock it up to drivin a big ol' white bus with mosaic windows.  Not a school bus, not an RV, not a state corrections bus, not a hippie bus - but my bus.  Our bus, let's be fair. 

I also keep talking to people, even friends, who admit their envy over my journey.  More and more, I'm wondering if they really know what will be happening.  Heck, I don't know.  But I do know this, it will be alot of work, homeschooling alone - and sweaty driving and breaking down and eating beans from a can, or sprouted under a bed, imminent whining and perhaps even some bitter moments when the kids remember their nice warm (or cool) house with the fenced in yard and private showers. . .oh boy. . .but you can't put any price or value on the year ahead, the lessons and the friends we have yet to meet, and hopefully the point I'm trying to make - that this Life is about Life, about People, Mankind for cryin' out loud.  A year on the road is typically seen as a fun trip and sight seeing pettiness, a bit of romance - this is a given, an irreproachable obvious, but!  we have work to do and much to learn, and still searching for that balance wherein my family gives back.  If my children can grasp the importance of community and family and a simple life, then the world will be a better place, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment