From a moving home to Moving Pictures Gallery, the birth and re-birth of a 36' International school bus, struggling to become a green vehicle opening its doors literally to artists with something to say and those who long to hear it. Starting from scratch and loving the haters. Welcome to the happiness bus. . .

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Morning has Broken

Today we begin framing walls with metal studs - lighter, cheaper, stronger, more flexible.  We also have no idea what we're doing - luckily, it seems easy enough.  I am also acquiring new tools daily.  Tin snips yesterday.

Every so often I will meet someone who is especially interested in a school bus conversion.  The man at the building supply yesterday afternoon added to the list of excited supporters, for whatever personal reasons they have.  I allowed the suspense to build, just knowing he was going to spill it - how he had converted his own back in the day - I allowed for him to choose the timing of the news - but he never did!  I'm certain this man has either lived or camped in a bus, and was eager to hear his stories.

We learn sometimes to quiet down and give others space, and then we also learn to speak up and encourage others - to show them we are listening and interested.  I wish I had shown more interest in encouraging his obvious experience - but you know what?  He urged us to give him a call if we had questions putting in the studs.  Heck, I have questions about the tin snips. . .

1 comment:

  1. I've just been thinking in my encounters this weekend that a big part of developing relationships is listening. If we can only keep ourselves quiet long enough for someone to share their stories. People need to be heard. :)

    ReplyDelete