From a moving home to Moving Pictures Gallery, the birth and re-birth of a 36' International school bus, struggling to become a green vehicle opening its doors literally to artists with something to say and those who long to hear it. Starting from scratch and loving the haters. Welcome to the happiness bus. . .

Monday, May 23, 2011

what's the deal with tires?

I had a blow out on my civic last month, drove to work on a flat and ruined a new tire Saturday night, Anon mentioned changing a bus tire, now I was told yesterday that the front tires that are retreads need to go or be moved to the back, and the back tires have some dry rotting, and should be replaced.

Good news?  Well, soon I'll have a new tire on the car and I am aware of the other issues.  Also, Barry and Tina Worley from Bristol came out and Barry checked out the bus - I thought I had it on video, but I don't - at the end of the inspection, Barry said something to the effect that he was going to tell me this was a terribly foolish idea, BUT, the bus is in great shape and it should be good to go for a year across the country!  This comes from a CDL tester and mechanic - his father in law, the Morrel's of Bristol, own the Holston Bus Company (shout out!) so I am going to trust this gift of opinion with all my heart!  There is the tire issue, and also the rear brakes are going to need to be replaced as soon as I can figure out how that will happen (they are about half-way now).

We got it started up with some starting fluid (note to self - purchase a can) and after I put on the license plate finally, we hauled it out for a drive down the highway.  Kids sliding around on blankets and waving at the passerby - quite a few 'cause it's a much slower ride then even an old Civic!  It was a little nerve-racking trying to back it back into my driveway, and after a few attempts and some impatience, I just pulled straight in.  It'll be fun getting it out in a few days as I've committed to taking Sirius out twice a week to recharge the battery and keep it in shape.  It was good to realize little things like I need some new mirrors and getting the feel of driving this beast...it's going to be a much more brave conquest then I have allowed myself to indulge in - I am consistently called 'brave' but I think naive is a much more comfortable adjective for me to accept - though I still like brave... and I don't mind naive, either - it's not a bad word, just a word that describes innocent trust to me...

So today?  I have a new list of things I need, for the bus and the year - another wish list of necessities if anyone feels compelled to donate -

full-size futon mattress
TIRES
wood for bunks
panelling
wood stove or DSL space heater
sleeping bag for me
RV sized sink
water tank
passports
national park year pass
artists to show up June 24 and paint something tastefully on the back of the bus
some nice words of support...
alot of people to show up June 4 for my moving sale and support me by buying all my stuff
AND alot of people showing up to my photography auction and over-paying for some good photos (just kidding, you won't overpay)

As soon as I figure out how to get these videos uploaded I'll be posting.  Back to a sick kid and more eliminating for now.

One more thing - Mark is coming up here from North Carolina and we'll finally get that sweet insulation put in, then the rest of the bunks, loft, bathroom, kitchen, and book shelves go in the first week of June with Jay here.  Another shout out to my brother and sister-in-law for donating a bundle of good stuff for the moving sale - Gabe and Christina Zimmer - thanks!!  Looking forward to an amazing summer with old and new friends and a beautiful (yet not proximinal enough) community!!

No comments:

Post a Comment